Search for content in message boards

Where would I find my grandfather's WW1 records?

Replies: 28

Re: Where would I find my grandfather's WW1 records?

Posted: 20 Feb 2011 1:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
not sure what key word you are entering or which database you are using. If you are using the Kramerius database, just put in the surname you want followed by the given name of the individual (use the German spelling of the given name if the Slovak or Hungarian versions do not work). For example, Jan = Janos = Johann. Try all three seperately with the surname. Look for entries with the title: Verlustliste ausgegeben am (casualty list issued on). They contain the information about the individual. The Alphabetisches Verzeichnis der in den Verlustlisten is just an alphabetical index of the names of the casualties. It does not contain any information about the soldier. It just tells you in which book # the man is in. The other documents to look for are called Nachrichten über Verwundete und Kranke ausgegeben am (news of wounded and sick issued on. These documents also provide information about the soldier. Another thing that works is to put in the surname along with the birth town of the individual. If you still have a problem, post on this site the full name of the man you are reseaching, his birth town and birth year and someone will help you. But start a new query, this one is getting to be too long.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
carlkotlarchi... 18 Feb 2011 1:29PM GMT 
debatecoach 18 Feb 2011 3:20PM GMT 
charlesvtinte... 19 Feb 2011 12:22AM GMT 
KarenKotlarch... 19 Feb 2011 6:27PM GMT 
anettka 20 Feb 2011 4:03PM GMT 
KarenKotlarch... 20 Feb 2011 8:07PM GMT 
anettka 21 Feb 2011 1:17AM GMT 
charlesvtinte... 31 Oct 2011 11:46PM GMT 
eleanor_thom 27 Oct 2012 9:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions