Search for content in message boards

my grt grt grandfather taught horsemanship to austrian prince!

Replies: 4

Re: my grt grt grandfather taught horsemanship to austrian prince!

Posted: 8 Jan 2014 1:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
CK. Thankyou for replying to my post!

Firstly I must inform you of a change in 'Henrys' situation. I wrote that henry taught horsemanship to the Austrian princes bodyguards! I have recently found that to be slightly incorrect.

Henry was enlisted in the 12th lancers military unit here in England.

I am going to quote a newspaper article dated march 7th 1908 at the time of henrys death.

Mr H Goulston, of The Lord Palmerston, Northampton, who died on Friday last, and was buried at the Northampton General Cemetery on Tuesday, has had an eventful career.
He was born in London 65 years ago, the son of a sealing-wax manufacturer, and early had taste for the sea.
As a youth he was ship wrecked off the coast of Australia, and took advantage of the incident to try his fortune in the goldfields. He went to Ballaratt but didn't make his fortune, and later returned to the old country, where he enlisted in the 12th Lancers.
He saw fighting in China, where he narrowly escaped being stabbed to death. He was quickly promoted to Sergeant-major, and in this capacity he instructed the late Captain ''Bay'' middleton the famous cross country rider, who piloted the Empress of Austria over the Pytchley country in horsemanship.
Later he became a circus ring master, trams manager at Cambridge, Wolverhampton, Reading, Middlesborough and Northampton.
In 1884 after 3 years as manager of the Northampton trams, he became landlord of The Lord Palmerston, and has since been prominently associated with ''Trade'' organisation.
He was a Freemason, a member of The Royal Antedeluvian Order of Buffaloes and at the time of his death a member of the Northampton Board of Guardians for St Peters.
His funeral took place on Tuesday, accompanied by many sincere signs of sorrow and sympathy.
He leaves a widow, 2 daughters aqnd 1 son, the latter being manager for the Northampton Brewery Co, at Coventry.

That is how its written in the newspaper article I have.
I also know from records that Henry was born in Mile end, an area within Middlesex England. it had a jewish population of 25 000 at that time is what I read.

I am genuinally searching for any details of military service, where and when. Also I would like to know where his relatives originate from as looking at him he is clearly jewish and myself and older brother carry the same look about us as does my mother. Henry goulstons daughter is my mothers grandmother. She passed down to my mother a pristine metal swastika and scarab in a box..

Any information would be absolutely fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Simon
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
simon miller 29 Dec 2013 3:39PM GMT 
carlkotlarchi... 8 Jan 2014 6:29PM GMT 
simon miller 8 Jan 2014 8:01PM GMT 
asperula 6 Feb 2014 1:34PM GMT 
andrewneuman 25 Feb 2014 8:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic