Search for content in message boards

Nursing Sister Concentration Camp

Replies: 3

Nursing Sister Concentration Camp

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 5:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CHANDLER RANDLE
I am trying to find details on my ancestor, EMMA MARIA (MARIE) CHANDLER. She was born 1868 at Alford, Lincolnshire U.K.
She left England early in 1900 to become a Nursing Sister in a Refugee Concentration Camp near Kimberley. Whilst there, she met and married GEORGE RANDLE. Family legend has him as a British Army Captain.
She had a baby who died, Emma herself died of enteric fever 16th or 17th Feb 1905 at Jagersfontein.

Emma’s obituary in the Lincoln, Rutland & Stamford Mercury dated Friday 17th March 1905 – Randle: at Jagersfontein, South Africa, Feb 17th of Malarial Fever, Emma Maria (Marie) the beloved wife of George Randle and daughter of the late J. S. Chandler, of Alford.

I know absolutely nothing about George Randle, apart that he never met Emma’s family in England. I would love to know about her marriage and her death/burial. I don’t even know which nursing organisation she belonged to.

All I have been able to find are the following 3 references in the VAB Database of the National Archives of South Africa.
With out looking at them, I do not know if they refer to Emma Maria Chandler.
Is it possible to send for copies of these records, or do they have to be viewed on site?
I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Source SRC Vol45 Ref A1971 Detail, Application for leave Sister Chandler. Begins/ends1902.

Source SRC Vol47 Ref A2289 Detail, Re passage of Nurse Chandler to England. Begins/ends1902.

Source SRC Vol47 Ref A2331 Detail Sister Chandler to stay on in South Africa, requests equivalent in money instead of passage to England. Begins/ends1903.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sickofsearchi... 9 Jun 2008 11:44PM GMT 
JeffH01 10 Jun 2008 8:56PM GMT 
sickofsearchi... 10 Jun 2008 9:26PM GMT 
er481 6 Jun 2013 3:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions