Search for content in message boards

William Bennett, Gordon Highlanders, Died 1900 South Africa

Replies: 2

William Bennett, Gordon Highlanders, Died 1900 South Africa

Posted: 16 May 2012 9:10AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Bennett
I am in no way a military/war buff, so I'm making a lot of assumptions in trying to find out information.

I have a set of compiled records indicating that one of my distant relatives, William Bennett (1875-1900) from Keith, Scotland, was a member of the Gordon Highlanders and died in Johannesburg, South Africa in 1900 at the age of 25. If my assumptions are correct, this may suggest that he was a participant in the Boer War. I can't seem to find any information to back up this guess, though.

Can anyone suggest a source of information where I might find lists of active soldiers with the Gordon Highlanders in the late 1800's?

Is my timing correct in assuming that the Gordon Highlanders would have been fighting in the Boer War in 1900? Or did I get my dates completely wrong?

It might be a lot to ask, but I would love to find out if he died in combat (and if so, is there a specific battle?), of illness, or something unrelated to the war.

Any other information or suggestions on how to search out relevant facts would be greatly appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dayna Dreger 16 May 2012 3:10PM GMT 
JeffH01 18 May 2012 3:17AM GMT 
Dayna Dreger 18 May 2012 3:43AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic