Search for content in message boards

Need help

Replies: 4

Re: Need help

Posted: 17 Jul 2012 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
From Nominal Roll of the Imperial Yeomanry:

Cherry, Moses; No 39936, Private, 177th Coy., 31st Bn. I.Y.
Note the 31st Bn I.Y. was raised in 1901 and was aka Fincastle's Horse

Cherry, Michael 40482, Trooper, Company Not Known, 35th Bn. I.Y.
35th Battalion was raised in 1901.
He’s listed in the QSA Medal Roll.

His attestation and discharge papers are in document series WO 128 War Office: Imperial Yeomanry, Soldiers' Documents, South African War; 1899-1902

The piece number containing Michael’s is WO 128/140 for Regimental Numbers 40,311 - 40,500 unfortunately these records are not available online anywhere.

Although Michael & Moses Cherry were the only two names returned from a name search at http://angloboerwar.com/ Please be aware that there were a number of locally (SA) raised units and town guards that he may have joined, but all should be included in the QSA Medal Roll.

If you cannot get to Kew your only viable cost effective option to obtain a copy of the above record would be to use a professional researcher. If you wish to pursue that option then from the NA’s home page at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ select Records > (scroll down) Paying for Research (note the NA’s charges!) > Independent Researchers > select Army etc.

You will find a list of researchers, several with web sites and emails, all charges are plus copies but beware “plus expenses”, the rates for reputable researchers should include their “expenses”, average cost should be £20-£30 /hr.

Quick source use your browser to search for “military research on line” and one of the first listed should a company, you will also find via the longer route, that offers fixed price packages for some records and a reasonable hourly rate for longer searches.

Jeff
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
1956cherryg 15 Jul 2012 6:17PM GMT 
JeffH01 18 Jul 2012 2:14AM GMT 
1_cherryg 22 Jul 2012 4:33PM GMT 
JeffH01 23 Jul 2012 1:41AM GMT 
1_cherryg 23 Jul 2012 2:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions