Search for content in message boards

sargent frederick berry

Replies: 2

Re: sargent frederick berry

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2013 4:49PM GMT
I couldn’t find a record for him in the WO97 series documents (British Army attestaion & discharge papers) at the National Archives (also available on Findmypast), suggesting he died in service or served in a none regular army capacity.

GRO Death registration

Berry, Frederick Joseph; age 37; Sep Qtr 1905; District Tendring; vol 4a; page 372

Do you have a copy of the death certificate? It may mention if he was still serving at the time.

If not you can obtain one online using the above reference from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If he served in the 2nd Anglo Boer War he should have received the Queen’s South Africa Medal, the roll of which is on Ancestry. I don’t have access to Ancestry’s datasets so cannot look for you and I’m sure someone will have an easier way to get to the rolls, but I can only get to it from:

Search (top menu bar) > All records (scroll down) select United Kingdom (bold type) > (scroll down to Military > select UK, Military Campaign Medal & Award Rolls 1793-1949

Enter his first name (only), last name, keyword sergeant, under campaign or service select South Africa – Second Boer War. If no returns remove sergeant.

You should find him.

If you don’t have a subscription you can purchase pay per view credits.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
canary58 29 Jun 2013 3:43PM GMT 
JeffH01 4 Jul 2013 10:48PM GMT 
JeffH01 2 Feb 2014 3:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic