Search for content in message boards

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Replies: 3

Napoleonic prisoners of war, An Italian and Frenchman in 60th Reg.

Posted: 6 Jan 2014 8:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Paul,
Re: An Italian and A Frenchman in 60th Foot Regiment, Napoleonic Wars

Thanks for your reply.

Guiseppi Molinari (Joseph Molinary), born Rome, signed up in Lymington in 1811. His name spelling varies with each record. He spent 30 years in the British army!

The only thing which might give a clue about when he was taken prisoner by the British is the record states: he claims he contacted the British consul in Tarragona in 1810 but there was no record of this. Perhaps he was taken prisoner in Tarragona and transported to Lymington.

His friend, Frederick/Ferdinand Gerrard was French and signed up in Lymington in 1812. (He was a christening witness in 1823 in Halifax, Canada). He spent 14 years in the British army and was discharged in Br. Guyana in 1826. His name may also have been anglicized. He was from Longuay.

I was interested to hear from you that there should be a POW record for them in the N.A. It is too bad this is not available on-line since I am not able to get there.

If you are interested in more details about their service records, perhaps you could contact me directly

Regards
Liz
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PaulChamberla... 2 Jun 2012 4:15PM GMT 
lizastart 19 Dec 2013 1:05AM GMT 
PaulChamberla... 3 Jan 2014 9:36PM GMT 
lizastart 7 Jan 2014 3:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions