Search for content in message boards

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Replies: 3

Napoleonic prisoners of war

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 10:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently writing a book on the story of Norman Cross prison depot, that was in use from 1797 until 1814, and housed thousands of French, German, Dutch, Italian and Polish prisoners of war, taken at sea and in most of the land campaigns fought throughout the world during this period of conflict.

I will be including the stories of specific pows held at this depot, especially those who stayed in England after the war. I would like to follow their stories into the nineteenth century. I have come across a few men who married local girls, especially when these soldiers/servants were attached to an officer who was sent to a Parole Depot.

Is there anyone out there who has come across an ancestor who was held at Norman Cross? Many prisoners enlisted into the King's German Legion. Has anyone found an ancestor in this corps who came to this country initially as a pow?

Also, does anyone have a known ancestor who served as an employee of the Transport Board (who had responsibilty for pows) at Norman Cross?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PaulChamberla... 2 Jun 2012 4:15PM GMT 
lizastart 19 Dec 2013 1:05AM GMT 
PaulChamberla... 3 Jan 2014 9:36PM GMT 
lizastart 7 Jan 2014 3:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic