Search for content in message boards

Need Help Identifying Uniform

Replies: 4

Re: Need Help Identifying Uniform

Posted: 10 Jun 2012 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
In all likelihood the story is not true. Wilhelm II served with with several Garde regiments, but the uniform your great grandfather is wearing would indicate that he served as a private with a regular unit. To be honest, I cannot say which one; the shoulder board is a clue, but to my inexperienced eye not enough to make a definite statement. The original photo would likely have had the photographer's name and location; and the location usually would have corresponded to the soldier's garrison. Your great grandfather would have entered the service c. 1874, served several years, then became a reservist. It is difficult to trace the service of a regular soldier in the Prussian army, as many of the records were destroyed near the end of WWII. Any other information you have may be helpful in clarifying this; where he was born and may have lived before he emigrated; other photos, perhaps correspondence he wrote while in the service; he also would have been issued certain documents during his service which he may have retained, although I'm assuming you would have posted this as well if available.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
barbaragellma... 4 May 2012 5:53AM GMT 
ycaso77 5 May 2012 3:32PM GMT 
barbaragellma... 5 May 2012 4:40PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 10 Jun 2012 5:56PM GMT 
Ken_Sch 10 Jun 2012 6:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic