Search for content in message boards

1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Replies: 6

Re: 1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Posted: 27 May 2013 1:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Nancy --

You have given me a wealth of information; I am grateful. It does sound pretty definite that the crew lists (or, rather, the lists Karl Emil would have been on) for those ships are not in existence. The links for the usual exports of the places he voyaged to gives me a picture of what his ship might have carried -- thanks for that.

While I may never find details specific to him, the information you have passed along does create a general picture of what he probably did on board, what his ship probably carried, a good sense of his experience at that time.

A few years ago, I did find a crew list record for a Karl Emil Hjelte (the one you probably saw), leaving from Hull, I believe, to NY. This could well be him, BUT the date is wrong (1901 -- a gap of 2+ years where he is unaccounted for, so to speak, in New York), this K E Hjelte is from Sodermanlands and "my" Karl is from Ostergotland, and this K E Hjelte is listed with his "Bror Eric" and "my" Karl did not have a brother Eric. Well, it's something I had put aside, but will now pursue a bit more closely, now that I have the understanding that he was in the UK Merchant Marines (I did not know that prior).

I really value all the work and effort you have put in to help me, Nancy: thank you! If I run into any more questions, I may call on you!

Oh, because you've sort of entered his life, even if only academically, I thought I would attach a photo of Karl Emil, one that he apparently had taken in Calcutta (which had always confused us -- before we knew about his Merchant Marine experience -- we thought it was some kind of "costume portrait" he had done in Stockholm, you know, those photos that have the sitter in a "Paris" or "Old West" or whatever setting. We couldn't understand how it could REALLY be from Calcutta...and now we know it was indeed!)

Thank you again, Nancy.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mloncaric13 12 May 2013 4:13PM GMT 
moonpie71 25 May 2013 1:29PM GMT 
mloncaric13 25 May 2013 11:57PM GMT 
moonpie71 26 May 2013 3:43PM GMT 
mloncaric13 26 May 2013 6:43PM GMT 
moonpie71 27 May 2013 2:46PM GMT 
mloncaric13 27 May 2013 7:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions