Search for content in message boards

1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Replies: 6

Re: 1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Posted: 25 May 2013 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 May 2013 7:36AM GMT
Here's the definition from a UK site:

"This document contains personal information and a record of each voyage undertaken. The certificate acted as both a passport and a reference. The captain of a ship would record the name of the ship, the dates of the voyage and the ability and conduct of the seaman on that voyage." (From Memorynet:

Below is a link to a Google Book called "Sessional Papers, Volume 77" By Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons. (It should take you directly to page 67 of the book.)

This link will take you to the Registry of Shipping and Seamen: - at the bottom of the page, under the Historical Information heading, click the link for details of their historical records - it opens as a Word document but explains where certain documents are stored and how to make a request.

My dad was a US Merchant Marine in World War II, so I don't really have any suggestions in your case. I hope the links help! My dad took several trips to South America, and they were usually to pick up crude oil and bring it to a US refinery; however, I've seen a few that also exported "exotic" fruit like bananas. If you have the names of the ships, please post them - sometimes you have better luck searching the ships than searching the crew!

Happy Searching,

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mloncaric13 12 May 2013 4:13PM GMT 
moonpie71 25 May 2013 1:29PM GMT 
mloncaric13 25 May 2013 11:57PM GMT 
moonpie71 26 May 2013 3:43PM GMT 
mloncaric13 26 May 2013 6:43PM GMT 
moonpie71 27 May 2013 2:46PM GMT 
mloncaric13 27 May 2013 7:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic