Search for content in message boards

1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Replies: 6

1904 "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- info please!

Posted: 12 May 2013 10:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi --

We have recently unearthed my great-grandfather's "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" -- a little book with a Board of Trade emblem and his record number stamped on it. Inside -- along with many other rules and details -- it says to return to the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen, Carlisle Place, Westminster, London, SW.

My great-grandfather, Carl Emil Hjelte, was Swedish: born there and lived there until he immigrated to America in 1905. Or so we thought...

This book records 3 journeys he made on 3 different ships during the 1904-1905 time frame: to Cape Hatteras, to the Black Sea, and to Rio (and the USA, on this trip). The dates and places of discharge are all centered around Cardiff or Barry. There are a few more details (ship names, captains' names, Carl Emil's jobs, etc.).

Can anyone tell me what this is? How would he have hooked up to a UK Merchant Marine while living in Stockholm? What was being in the Merchant Marine all about? Is this how he could've earned his passage to America? And is there anywhere that I can do further research about Carl Emil Hjelte, specifically, and his time in the Merchant Marine?

This is a big surprise to the family! I am very excited to learn more about what it all means. I am grateful for any information or suggestions for further investigation.

Thank you!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mloncaric13 12 May 2013 4:13PM GMT 
moonpie71 25 May 2013 1:29PM GMT 
mloncaric13 25 May 2013 11:57PM GMT 
moonpie71 26 May 2013 3:43PM GMT 
mloncaric13 26 May 2013 6:43PM GMT 
moonpie71 27 May 2013 2:46PM GMT 
mloncaric13 27 May 2013 7:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic