Search for content in message boards

Elisha C. Baker b. 1834 in KY, one of William Walker's "Filibusters"

Replies: 4

Elisha C. Baker b. 1834 in KY, one of William Walker's "Filibusters"

Posted: 15 Sep 2013 3:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baker
This is probably not the correct forum since Elisha C. Baker was one of William Walker's "Filibusters", but I am trying to locate information on him. He was born in 1834 in Muhlenberg, Kentucky to David and Mahala Welch Baker. My brother had once found some information on Elisha regarding the Walker's Filibusters, but I don't have that information currently available. I do know that he died in Mexico, never making it back from Central America after one of Walker's invasions of Nicaragua. When I first started my research on Ancestry I had found another tree that stated he died in Monterey, Mexico in 1867 and that he also was in the Civil War. I don't think that is correct since it was from May, 1855 to 1857 that Walker tried to take control of Nicaragua and Baja California. Elisha did have an Uncle Elisha that was in the Civil War, thus the mix-up and that Elisha is buried in Kentucky. I don't know why Elisha became one of Walker's mercenaries. Walker was a slave advocate and after he overtook LaPaz, Mexico he was a hero in the US. I think perhaps it was for the adventure. If anyone has any information on Elisha or William Walker's "Fillibusters", I would appreciate it. Most of his recruits were from KY and TN, and most of them never made it back, although I did read that on the last trip to Nicaragua that many of his men deserted.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
EmilyMorris51... 15 Sep 2013 9:12AM GMT 
blandfords 25 Apr 2014 2:04AM GMT 
EmilyMorris51... 28 Apr 2014 6:40AM GMT 
DecMay 12 May 2014 3:50PM GMT 
EmilyMorris51... 13 May 2014 8:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions