Search for content in message boards

Army research in the National Archives

Replies: 3

Army research in the National Archives

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2013 7:17AM GMT
I live in Southern California and never thought I might have a chance to research in the UK National Archives. For a number of years I've had a reference that I wanted to search:
WO 164/217 ISLAND OF ST MAURA 1810. Payments: Staff, Commissariat, Royal Engineers, Royal Artillery, 20th Light Dragoons, 35th Regiment, De Rolle's Regiment, Captain Steiger's Foreign Company, Captain Combriments Company, Captain De Mullers Company, Captain De Boylisves Company, Captain De Villaltes Company, Captain De Brens Company, Royal Corsican Rangers, Grecian Light Infantry, Calabrian Free Corps, and Army Flotilla

My ancestor was a member of Captain DeVillaltes Company and was said to receive prize money from St Maura. I'd like to see if I can locate him in this file. When I went to the Natl Archives website (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/default.htm),I quickly became confused. I will be passing through London for only a couple of days and may only have a half day to visit. So I want to be prepared. Is the above record something that has to be ordered beforehand to access it or can I just show up to view it? How does one know? Can anyone with experience suggest what I could do beforehand to make this process as easy as possible? Can anyone suggest where I should go and what I should do the day I arrive?

I learned from experience at the National Library in Dublin that it was much more complicated then I expected since I wanted to see an original record...needed picture taken, etc. I don't want that to happen again.

Thanks for any help
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pvmeistrel 23 Jan 2013 11:41PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 24 Jan 2013 8:14AM GMT 
pvmeistrel 24 Jan 2013 6:10PM GMT 
ELLinSpain 24 Jan 2013 8:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions