Search for content in message boards

John WAKEFIELD, b abt 1624 Yorkshire, England, Militiary Service-Cromwells Army

Replies: 0

John WAKEFIELD, b abt 1624 Yorkshire, England, Militiary Service-Cromwells Army

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 7:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2013 7:30AM GMT
Surnames: Wakefield
I am looking for records for the above. He is assumed to be the son of John Wakefield Sr and Mary Conley. He is listed in John O'Harts The Irish land gentry when Cromwell came to Ireland page409. The heading for the list is "10. The "Forty-Nine" Officers and below the heading is written "Inrollments of the Adjudications in favour of the (A.D) 1649 Officers (formerly denominated "The '49 Lots): Preserved in the Office of the Chief Remembrancer of the Echequer, Dublin-See Records of Ireland, Marked "1821-1825" pp 610-637. I cannot find records in Ireland-nor can I afford to go to Ireland to look at records-but there should be records in England for military service? I cannot find-any help?
Mixed up with the Civil War in Ireland 1641-a war to recover confiscated lands from native Irish-is the war between the English Parliamentary forces and the adherents of King Charles I and this is followed by the Cromwellian Wars for a period of about 3 years-1649-1652. It is said John Wakefield rec'd land in Ireland for his military service and the list I mentioned above has to do with it. John also had a son Dr. Albert Wakefield, who was a surgeon on the staff of William of Orange on his Irish Invasion to Ireland and after dressing a wound of the King was granted land near Aughrim, Galway County, Ireland. This land and records do match up with the next generations of Wakefields and their family histories handed down. Any help finding records? Thanks, Cindy coetting57@hotmail.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions