Search for content in message boards

Queen's Rangers 1777-1783 and 76th Regiment of Foot, of same time span could they be the same?

Replies: 1

Queen's Rangers 1777-1783 and 76th Regiment of Foot, of same time span could they be the same?

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have history that reports my ancestor as being a memeber of the 76th regiment of foot, the incarnation of this regiment known as The MacDonald's Highlanders, or the Immortals. Formed in 1777 disbanded in 1784 at Stirling Castle after fighting in the American War of Independence and being prisoner's of war after the Surrender in Charlestown. I can not find any online documents confirming this, but I have found evidence of an Alexander MacDonald a member of John MacKay's company of Queen's Ranger's formed at the same time, and also appears to have gone to the America's. My question is could this Company of Rangers and the 76th be the same thing? Or was the 76th merged into the ranger's? The historical document I have of my Ancestor, Alexander Fraser MacDonald states he joined the 76th around 1777, and his company commander was a John McKaye. There just seems to be too much similarity. This link will take you to the sources I have for the Ranger's. As I have said, I can't find anything on-line regrading whether he was actually in the 76th regiment. http://trees.ancestry.ca/tree/56444721/person/32037393506/fa...

Thanks for any help or guidance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J_D_MAcDonald 8 Oct 2013 1:29PM GMT 
young1451 9 May 2014 1:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions