Search for content in message boards

Photo of unknown war or branch - US

Replies: 6

Re: Photo of unknown war or branch - US

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 2:20PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 3 Apr 2013 7:15AM GMT
According to the 1920 Census. His wife was 23 and he was 23. He was living with his wifes relatives. A Samuel Dunton was head (35yrs) and a Alice Corbin. Who I think is the mother of Louise and an Ida Corbin who is probably Alices daughter who was listed.

You have Joseph, Louise and three children. One is eight months old and two otheres. If they were listed at 23 years of age and the date of the census is January 1920 and he or she were not born in the month of January. Then they would make 24 in 1920. Which would mean that his and her year of birth would have been 1896. 1897 if one or both were born between January 1st and the 12th.

You had to be twenty one to serve in the military.If he were born in 1896. He would have been eligible in 1917 to go in at 21yrs of age. If he were born in 1897. He would have been eligible in 1918 at 21 to go in. He could also have lied about his age as a lot of people did throughout the States and the world and went in.

It would not have made a difference in his case. If he were born in 1896; because they didn't start to register until 1917 and a registration card did not mean you served. It only meant you had registered and if you were found physically and mentally able. you were capable of serving.

I would put his birthday logically and counting on odds of being born in January. That he was born in1897. and would have been eligible in 1918 and if he lied would have been eligible in 1917. I don't mean to belittle his character that he would lie; but just a possibility and a mans instinct about going away to war to fight for your country.

I did find one card. That a Joseph Henderson listed himself as "African". That was interesting. It showed three possibilities:
1. He was from Africa and not born in the United states.
2. He knew his African heritage and had hung on to it.
which meant his parents were most likely still alive and were brought over here as slaves and held onto their identity and instill that in their children and probably at a cost.
3. There was a lot of dissention led by W. De Boise who was preaching against the war. Stating that why should they serve because of the way they were treated and the Army didn't want them anyway.
4. He could have just plain didn't want to be tagged as a Negro or Colored.

It was very interesting and if he were aware of his heritage. Then he must have told stories of the old country and kept those values of his mother country. There might be some stories around. If he is your grand parent. It is somethging to think about.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
msslt 30 Mar 2013 5:10PM GMT 
timtracker 30 Mar 2013 10:58PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 1 Apr 2013 7:22PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 1 Apr 2013 8:20PM GMT 
msslt 2 Apr 2013 6:14PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 2 Apr 2013 11:18PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 3 Apr 2013 3:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic