Search for content in message boards

William (Willie) Bray

Replies: 4

William (Willie) Bray

Posted: 12 Mar 2014 9:11AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Bray
William (Willie) Bray
Born Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales, UK in 1886; died 1914, drowned.
Can anyone identify the uniform in this photo of my grand uncle taken around 1903? He seems to be holding a baton, so might he have belonged to an army or navy band? The braid on the sleeves, white belt and shape of the cap badge might offer clues? There's no photographic studio named, but it's an early postcard format and the copy was probably ordered by his father after his death, as the reverse has an order number "136136 Bray, special" and in my great-grandfather's large pencilled script: "W Bray. Drowned 1914". I remember my grandfather recounting that this favourite brother had died at sea. I'm trying to trace where he might have died, on what ship, merchant or otherwise, British or perhaps even Australian Navy? Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Passenger lists for various vessels to New South Wales, Australia, where two of his brothers had emigrated, have a W or Wm Bray noted: 1910 Orontes to Sydney, NSW; but also on the Wincannia to Sydney from London in 1912.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rosmondkm 12 Mar 2014 3:11PM GMT 
simon foreman 14 Mar 2014 5:51AM GMT 
rosmondkm 17 Mar 2014 12:10AM GMT 
infosending1 17 Mar 2014 2:07AM GMT 
rosmondkm 17 Mar 2014 11:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions