Search for content in message boards

2nd Seminole War - Friendly Indian Troops

Replies: 1

2nd Seminole War - Friendly Indian Troops

Posted: 1 Mar 2008 2:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spikes
I recently came across the following entry concerning my GGgrandfather, Matthew Spikes. Matthew's mother, Martha Spikes, is recorded in the 1830 Washington County FL, US Census with 4 sons--Matthew is one of them. Here is the entry:

"Muster Roll of Captain Stephen Richard's company of the MOUNTED FRIENDLY INDIANS, 1st Brigade of the FLORIDA MILITIA, commanded by Gen'l Leigh Reid, ordered into service of the United States by Gov. R. K. Call from the 15th day of October 1837 to the 23rd of April 1838. company enrolled at Walkers' Town, Jackson County, FLORIDA. At Camp Relief, on the 23rd April 1838, Stephen Richards, capt., commander of the company, by signature certified the muster roll to be accurate, just, and true. At the same place and date, D. H. Vinton, Inspector & Mustering Officer, certified by his signature that the muster roll was accurate. Mathew served from 15 October 1837 to 26th November 1837 and from 8 march to 23 April 1838 in the FRIENDLY INDIANS." I have not confirmed this statement and would like to know resources that could provide confirmation.

Does anyone know if all members of the friendly indian troops were, in fact, native american? Or did white settlers also serve in the friendly indian troops? There has been a family story that Matthew had native american heritage, however, this is the first indication that I have found that supports the story.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JanetFoster80 1 Mar 2008 9:29PM GMT 
brauchlej 26 Aug 2012 8:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions