Search for content in message boards

Need help deciphering abbreviations on grandfather's service record

Replies: 3

Need help deciphering abbreviations on grandfather's service record

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 10:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks for any help you can offer. I really appreciate it.

He's listed as having the following citations, medals, etc: Asiatic-Pacific w/3*, Pres Unit Citation w/1*, American Theatre, WW II Vic Med, Am Defense Medal, Good Conduct w/4*, Korean Serv w/2*, UN Service, Nat Def Serv, Korean PUC, Commendation Ribbon, & Pendant&Combat V.

What do the "w/*"s mean? Is there a good website that describes what each medal/commendation is? I've searched and only found places to order medals from.

Also, I did an interview with him shortly before he died, but forgot to ask about which battalion, unit, etc he served with. He talked a little about it, but I guess I don't know enough about how the military is organized to understand it. If you could read the following and help me out, that would be great. Here is an excerpt of the interview (thank you very much for getting this far into my message):

"We went to New Zealand on a luxury liner, the Massonia, that had just been partially converted to a troop ship.

"I was supposed to make Staff Sergeant on the ship but the company commander was an old army retread and he didn’t think I should, but as soon as Colonel Salazar got to New Zealand, he seen that I made my Staff Sergeant and then we started a communication platoon in the engineer battalion when we reorganized, when they made shore party battalion, CB battalion (that was construction), civilian, and engineer battalion into the 18th Marine Regiment and we set up a communication platoon in the engineer battalion and I volunteered to organize it and it rated a Technical Sergeant, an E6, so Colonel Salazar seen that I got my E6 warrant. So I was an E6 with about 22 and a half months in the Marine Corps. I guess they figured that I had a year teaching experience and so that I was better qualified, I don’t know. I had a group of radio operators, a group of telephone alignment switchmen, and some message center people, you know, 20 or 30 guys were reporting to me. They'd string lines and set up switchboard, operated portable radios. Most of the communicators were not on the front, well, there’s communicators on the front line too, but actually I was in a shore party battalion, mainly they set up on the beach. We weren’t inland fighting the enemy. We come under fire when we landed at Saipan because, you know, the enemy wasn’t that far ahead. And one of my men was killed by a mortar." (Dec 24, 2005)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
clg18057 23 Jun 2006 4:56PM GMT 
David Cann 23 Jun 2006 5:32PM GMT 
clg18057 24 Jun 2006 12:56PM GMT 
chrisknudsen9... 29 Feb 2012 3:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic