Search for content in message boards

Requesting assistance in completing SF 180 from DD-214

Replies: 1

Requesting assistance in completing SF 180 from DD-214

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 4:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm completing the Standard Form 180 for a friend's next-of-kin request (the eVet site is beyond his comfort level, so I'm filling it out and giving it to him for signature and mailing). I'm having a bit of trouble in completing the service section, though; the man was a veteran of two wars, World War II (Pacific) and Korea. The first document is a Letter of Separation, and the second is a DD-214. The veteran was a Marine pilot, but I can't figure out what periods of time were active vs. reserve, and enlisted vs. officer.

I posted the Letter of Separation, the DD-214 and the section I need to complete on my Flickr page at: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwZHZhc and my friend wants to secure all documents in the OMPF, so I want to provide as much information as possible.

Also, my friend has his father's pilot log from his time flying in Ulithi and Yap (The Caroline Islands), including the tail numbers and other details - would additional details be available on individual flights? I know he was one of the pilots who bombed Yap, but I didn't know if battle details would be in the OMPF.

My only experience in completing these form was for a simple enlistment period, so any assistance you can provide will be SO appreciated - thanks for reading!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
moonpie71 29 Nov 2011 11:00PM GMT 
philliptownes... 19 Dec 2011 4:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions