Finding my dad's WWII ship name

Replies: 4

Finding my dad's WWII ship name

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2005 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jan 2009 5:27PM GMT
Surnames: FLANIGAN
I sent away to NARA and got my deceased father's military records. The records say Thomas Samuel Flanigan joined the Navy on March 7, 1944, at the age of 24, and served through Jan 30, 1946. Before WWII, he was going to college, and his military records indicate he had two years toward a B.S. when the war broke out. The records do NOT show what ship he was assigned to, however. He served in the Pacific during the campaigns for Iwo Jima and Okinawa. He was just a serviceman, no officer rank. After being discharged, he came home and got work as a machinist, so this may have been his job in the Navy, too.

My father was recalled from the Reserves during the Korean War, but never left the US. He was with the SubGruFOURFlaGru LANTRESFLT in Green Cove Springs, Florida. Because he had three children by then, he was discharged relatively quickly, and left the Navy the second time on Nov 10, 1950. At the time of his second discharge, his records say he had served a total of 5 yrs. 9 mos. 6 dys., including both terms of service.

Service No.: 865 14, 83
Grade/Rank: MR3
Specialty No.: MR-4413-68
Branch (Korean War recall): USNR V-6

Is there some way I can find out what ship he was on in the Pacific? I would be grateful for any help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Maureen 13 Jun 2005 12:41AM GMT 
Bud 28 Jun 2005 5:23PM GMT 
Maureen 30 Jun 2005 5:39AM GMT 
Bud 30 Jun 2005 7:48AM GMT 
paulw_wittmer 12 Aug 2008 2:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic