Search for content in message boards

William Williams (died 1814) - Private - 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry - Captain Allen Trimble's Company - Pennsylvania

Replies: 6

William Williams (died 1814) - Private - 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry - Captain Allen Trimble's Company - Pennsylvania

Posted: 8 Oct 2009 1:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIAMS, JACOBS, MCMONIGLE, WISE
Searching for information concerning Pennsylvania soldier, William Williams (c.1790/96?-1814) who was a private in the 19th Regiment United States Infantry (Captain Allen Trimble's Company) during the War of 1812; he died September 3, 1814, possibly during the Niagara campaigns.

William Williams is thought to have been born in Pennsylvania sometime between 1790 and 1796. The name of his father is not known, although his mother was Mary Williams. Sometime after Mr. Williams died, his widow, Mary Williams married James McMonigle (c.1768-aft.1814). Very little is known of Mary prior to her marriage to James McMonigle. James' wife is also sometimes shown as "Osse McMonigle," with a nickname of "Mollie."

James and Mary McMonigle were married in Pennsylvania sometime before 1800. James was shown as living in Elizabeth Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in the 1800 census (listed as "James McManigel). James and his family were living in Nottingham Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1810. James apparently died sometime after the birth of his youngest daughter, Rebecca McMonigle (born 1814). By 1844, his widow (Mary McMonigle) and four of her children: Daniel McMonigle, Sarah (McMonigle) Jacobs, Thomas James McMonigle, and Catherine (McMonigle) Applegate were all living in southern Harrison County, Indiana.

In that year (1844), four of Mary McMonigle's children (named above) appeared before the court in that county and presented "satisfactory evidence" that they were the heirs at law in fee of William Williams, dec'd. The entire record is reproduced below:

"At a court held for said County of Harrison in the second Judicial Circuit of said state, the same being a court of record, at the April term thereof, to wit: on the 9th day of April 1844, satisfactory evidence was addressed in court to prove that Daniel McMonigle, Thomas McMonigle, Sarah Jacobs, and Catherine Applegate are the only children alive of Mary McMonigle, and that there are no descendants of any other children of said Mary alive, and that said children were born in lawful wedlock, and that their father hath long since departed this life.

It was also further proved to the satisfaction of said court that said Mary McMonigle is still alive and resident in said county, but too old and inferior to attend court, and further that the said Daniel McMonigle, Thomas McMonigle, Sarah Jacobs, and Catherine Applegate and the said Mary McMonigle are the heirs at law of in fee to William Williams deceased, who was a private in the 19th Regiment Infantry, and died while in the service of the United States on the 3rd of September 1814. The said William Williams having no children or their descendants alive nor any full brother or sister or their descendants, the said Daniel, Thomas, Sarah, and Catherine being the half brothers and sisters and said Mary being the mother of said William Williams deceased."
(Source: Harrison County, Indiana Order Bk. G, page 21)

This document clearly shows that William Williams was the son of Mary McMonigle by a previous marriage (i.e. Mr. Williams) and that he (William) had at least four half-siblings: Daniel, Sarah, Thomas, and Catherine McMonigle. Technically, there was a fifth sibling, Rebecca (McMonigle) Applegate. Rebecca was probably left out of this document due to the fact that she was living in Ohio at the time (1844).

According to this 1844 document, William Williams was a private in the 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry during the War of 1812. I have only found a few mentions of the 19th Regiment Infantry on the internet. This Regiment seems to have had ties to Ohio and Pennsylvania. In the summer of 1814, the 19th Regiment Infantry was ordered to the Niagara frontier. Major-General Jacob Brown seems to have played a large role in this particular regiment. I believe this regiment participated in the capture of Fort Erie and the Battle of Lundy's Lane. Afterwards, I read that the 19th Regiment Infantry was placed in the Second Division commanded by Colonel James Miller.

I suppose that when the 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry was ordered to the Canada border, that my William Williams enlisted as a private. I don't yet have a copy of William's enlistment record (if one exists). William was probably living in either Washington or Allegheny County, Pennsylvania at the time of his enlistment date (perhaps early or mid-1814). William Williams died while in military service on September 3, 1814.

The 1844 court document mentioning William Williams, dec'd was apparently the first step by his mother and half-siblings in attempting to apply for a land warrant based on William's military service in the War of 1812. They were apparently successful in getting a land warrant. This warrant was necessary in order to apply for a land patent. Again, they were successful, receiving a land patent (#27314) in Sullivan County, Indiana sometime prior to 1856.

In 1856, Daniel McMonigle and his sister, Sarah (McMonigle) Jacobs sold the land received in Sullivan County, Indiana to Shadrack Wise. The body of the deeds read: "which land was patented to William Williams, deceased, private soldier, commanded by Captain Trimble of the 19th Regiment United States Infantry, and patented by No. 27,314 in the District of Lands, subject to sale at Vincennes, Indiana."

The legal description of this land was: Pt. NE 29, 9, 8 - 40 acres, Bk/Pg 13/148.

William Williams's half-siblings: Thomas McMonigle and Catherine Applegate apparently sold their shares of the bounty land patent (?) to other people because no deeds have been found mentioning Thomas or Catherine with the William Williams land patent.

Both the 1844 document and 1856 deeds clearly show that William Williams enlisted as a private soldier in the 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry, Captain (Allen) Trimble's Company; William died in service on September 3, 1814; he died without any children; his only heirs were his mother and his McMonigle half-siblings.

Additional research shows the "Captain Trimble" mentioned in the 1856 deeds was in fact, Captain Allen Trimble (1783-1870) of the 19th Regiment Infantry (Trimble was later elected Governor of Ohio).

I found the following enlistment record on the internet for "Allen Wallace." Allen Wallace has no connection to William Williams, but Allen Wallace was a private in the 19th U.S. Regiment Infantry, as will be seen below:

NAME: Allen Wallace
ORGANIZATION,
ORGANIZATION,
REGIMENT:19 US Inf.
ORGANIZATION,
COMPANY COMMANDER: (left blank)
DESCRIPTION,
HEIGHT: 5'8"
DESCRIPTION,
EYES: Brown
DESCRIPTION,
HAIR: Dk
DESCRIPTION,
COMPLECION: Fair
DESCRIPTION,
DESCRIPTION,
BIRTHPLACE, TOWN: (left blank)
BIRTHPLACE, STATE: Va. (should be Vt) ENLISTMENT, WHEN: Mar. 18/14
ENLISTMENT, WHERE: Worthington (Ohio)
ENLISTMENT, BY WHOM: D.W. Lt. Pinney
ENLISTMENT, PERIOD: D.W. (Duration of the War?) REMARKS: D.R. Capt. C.A. Trimbles Co. Feby 16 - J.R. Feby 28 + May 31/15 Present Discharged from Lt. Jn. McElvains Co. at Chillicothe Ohio. June 6/15 - Term expired - See pension case

This record proves that enlistment records for the 19th Regiment U.S. Infantry do in fact exist. I am going to attempt to order William William's enlistment record and bounty land warrant application file (if one exists). William Williams (or his heirs) apparently did not receive any type of military pension.

William Williams was one of the more than 2000 soldiers who died during the War of 1812. I have read that a book, "Known Military Dead During the War of 1812," written by Clarence Stewart Peterson exists. If anyone has this book, I would really like to know if "William Williams" is listed among the casualties of that war.

Also, if anyone can tell me more about William Williams' enlistment record or if he had a bounty land warrant application file, please contact me.

Jesse L. Stamper
Leecorydon(at)juno.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jesse_Stamper 8 Oct 2009 7:43PM GMT 
lhiattpt 15 Jul 2012 6:25PM GMT 
katman45 15 Jul 2012 9:20PM GMT 
lhiattpt 15 Jul 2012 11:40PM GMT 
cen03214 15 Jul 2012 7:33PM GMT 
katman45 15 Jul 2012 9:30PM GMT 
cen03214 15 Jul 2012 11:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions