Search for content in message boards

Captain Elijah Hunter

Replies: 0

Captain Elijah Hunter

Posted: 5 Nov 2013 8:01AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Hunter, Perry
One of my ancestors is Catherine Hunter, born in Ernestown, Ontario, Canada in 1826, married to Jeremiah Perry. I have reason to believe that two of her brothers are William, who married Susan Menore, and John (1834-1944), who moved to New York from Canada when very young. I know that Catherine's father was from New York originally.

Here are two excerpts from an article on John Hunter from the Watertown Daily Times dated September 1917, which provides info on his ancestry:

"Mr. Hunter comes of a race of fighters, his grandsire having been a colonel of continentals in the days of '76, while his father was a soldier of the war of 1812."

"Mr. Hunter, whose father, Elijah Hunter, moved soon after the war of 1812 to Canada, which he with his regiment of Wilkinson's army of invasion had marched and fought over during the Canadian campaigns, was born at Violet, 16 miles west of Kingston on the old military pike to Toronto, 82 years ago"

I've been wondering if the "grandsire" mentioned in this article could be Elijah Hunter, who married Anna Drake.

I know that this Elijah Hunter was a captain (not a colonel) in 1776. In fact, there were no colonels by the name of Hunter in New York at that time. Maybe this was an error.... But could he, Captain Elijah Hunter (1749-1815), be John's, William's and Catherine's grandfather? Does anyone know if he had a son named Elijah?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions