Search for content in message boards

Search Ideas Wanted

Replies: 13

Re: Search Ideas Wanted

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
I generally don't as a rule corespond with the Board via the internet. I have only done this on one occaision. I do correspond via the board. It is listed in my profile. I had written a different response and it quoted a lot of the article or book "Sleeeping with the enemy. Please do read the information. It is on line. It quotes other people who were looking and they cite info that would be helpful. I can't reccomend it strong enough. You were unaware of the number of troops that were there; you will be also suprise at other information that is in there and it is right down your alley. Here is a quote from the article. I have left out names. I might be wrong for including them.

"I made this discovery several summers ago when I visited the Standesamt in the town of Mayen Germany in the picturesque Eifel region just north of the Mosel River and west of the Rhine. My mother had died in 1988 and never disscussed her past, only a passing comment that her father had been an American soldier. So there with a German birth registration in hand I was confronted with that reality when I read my father's name:---- ---- of Tennessee, member of A company, 50th InfantryRegiment, Serial No.--- ---. The significance of my mothers birthday, July 1, 1921- thelast day America was technically at war with Germany had never phased me since the Armastice date Nov. 11, 1918 was etched solidly in my mind." "Sleeping with the enemy: How my Grandfather Contributed to The Peace Process Ending World War 1; by Fred Strickert [to be puiblished in Everton's Family History Magazine, Nov.?Dec.2002]"

"From 1918 to 1922, American soldiers occupied the Rhineland as part of the demilitarization of Germany following World War 1. 250,000 Amerian troops filled the Eifel region those first six months. Then the numbers tapered off to about 15,000. They all wore a special blue patch with a red letter "A" (3rd Army) encircled by a white "O". Army of the occupation".

There is information about the marrying of some 1700 men and women. They left there some of them around May 9, 1921. They mention a ship the SS Cantigmy on Feb 3, 1922. The "May 1921 struck a bell. I suggest you read this section. It brings a lot of questions to the mind. I know it stirs my thinking in several different directions in reference to his god-father.

Well enough said. I have a couple of books on WW1 written by Gen. Pershing himself. I am going to do some research and see what I can come up with.

The big question is to find out exactly where the grandmother was living at the time of the pregnancy and the birth. Was it a small town and the name. Have to check and see what military Bat, Rgmnt., company, etc; was in the region and when they went home and then to get a list of the men. It is hard; but not impossible. Most of them have some sort of Company and etc; following and memorials in towns accross America. Might be right in Lorraine, Ohio.; but the big question is what would Grandma want. Take care . Danny.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Karl Goebel 14 Jan 2013 5:10PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 15 Jan 2013 6:38AM GMT 
Karl Goebel 15 Jan 2013 2:39PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 16 Jan 2013 10:06AM GMT 
Karl Goebel 16 Jan 2013 1:01PM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 17 Jan 2013 7:57AM GMT 
DecMay 25 Jan 2013 3:07AM GMT 
Karl Goebel 25 Jan 2013 3:13AM GMT 
Dannyssmile18... 27 Jan 2013 7:38AM GMT 
Karl Goebel 27 Jan 2013 4:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions