Search for content in message boards

LST 599

Replies: 0
Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2013 6:01PM GMT
My father was part of 199 Marines being transported from Ulithi,Caroline Islands to Okinawa on the LST 599,
28-Mar-45. The LST was hit by enemy suicide kamikaze at Kerama Retto 3-Apr-45. My father was wounded by the attack and returned to the states.(recieved purple heart) I have had some contact with a naval navigator aboard the LST 599 who gave me an account of that terrible morning which I had also heard from my father.I would love to make contact with any of the Marines that were onboard with my father at that time or their families.
My father passed away in 1970 but left me with an appreciation of the USMC and the Pacific Theater. His name was Gene Nored, Corpus Christi, TX.
I do a lot of genealogy and have my father's service records which tell me most of the Island's he was on during WWII. I know he was part of VMF 322, on Peleliu and on the 2nd wave on Iwo Jima. Maybe there is some kind of reunion of Marines or families I could go to. I think it is important we keep these memories alive for the future.Thank you.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions