Search for content in message boards

pow caught in north africa feb. 14th 1943 ( 12 of them)

Replies: 17

Re: pow caught in north africa feb. 14th 1943 ( 12 of them)

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 11:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
My grandfather was captured in north Africa on 2/14 also and was sent to Stalag 3. I don't know alot of the details but he did tell me a little.His name was Joseph Vinciguerra.He was in the 17th field artillery part of the 13th field brigade.After his battalion was destoyed he escaped with four other G.I's,they were captured four days later and taken to a small Arib village where he was held with some soldiers from the first armored division.I remember him telling me about not eating for a couple of days before he was captured so when he got to the prison camp he told the officers of situation and the put potatoe skins in his broth whitch was normaly served without.After a couple day it was one cup of broth and one peice of bread per day and once in a while he got some oats from the S.S. horses that were tied up next to the fence.He was also moved around by train alot, he told me that he escaped once by jumping off the train before it got to the station but he was captured again a couple days later.He also escaped another time by faking an illness,he thought the infermory would be easier to escape from and I guess he was right. He got uot but was captured again after about a week.Anoyher story he told was about being shiped over to England, there was a box of bread and the soldiers started to get into it. They thought it was raisen bread but as it turned out the raisens had legs,he said they put it down and one of the English crew members told them to eat up, he told them they'd eat worse than that before the war was over.The ship droped them off in England and then headed for south Africa where it was sunk by the Germans.My dad told me also that my grandfather didn't eat pork for years because it made him think of the pigs he saw eating dead bodies in one of the towns they marched through just before they were freed by the Russian army.On May 5 1945 they met general Eisenhower in Reims France, he said he wanted to persolly meet the POW's.He arrived back in the U.S. on June 14 1945.I wish I had more to tell you but that's it. Good luck. Joey V.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Connie Redert... 1 Mar 2009 11:04PM GMT 
mrbobmspat 4 Mar 2009 3:26PM GMT 
Connie Redert... 6 Mar 2009 3:35AM GMT 
mrbobmspat 6 Mar 2009 5:10AM GMT 
usryan 23 Mar 2009 3:28PM GMT 
Connie Redert... 23 Mar 2009 8:58PM GMT 
Jvince80 30 Sep 2012 5:14AM GMT 
Joek HUlsmann 3 Sep 2014 8:36PM GMT 
infosending1 4 Sep 2014 3:57AM GMT 
Chuck Owens 26 Dec 2012 4:25PM GMT 
per page