Search for content in message boards

Lt. William D. Kissinger, USAAF

Replies: 2

Lt. William D. Kissinger, USAAF

Posted: 16 Jun 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jul 2006 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: Kissinger
My father was a navigator on a B-17 , The Fertile Myrtle. He flew 25 missions over Germany, received two distinguished flying crosses, five air medals, and turned down several purple hearts because he wasn't "wounded badly enough". Yet I didn't know( until I was 14 years old and saw the blue boxes in his dresser drawer) that he was a decorated veteran. I took him to see "Memphis Bell", both the Movie and the real one. As we waited for the plane to take off, we stood in the prop wash to feel the wind ruffle our hair and get spattered with oil, like the guys did 50 years ago. It was a surreal moment. Yet Dad never felt he did anything extraordinary. Tom Brokaw certainly said it best when he called my father's generation the "Greatest Generation." As Dad said,"They did what they had to do, because there WAS no other choice." Dad, I love and miss you, and I'm proud to be printing this memorial page to place you along with so many other fine and deserving folks. To all veterans of all wars, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ducheselsp 16 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
peter worby 22 Aug 2003 5:22PM GMT 
Ducheselsp 20 Dec 2012 5:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions