Search for content in message boards

Adelyn Elizabeth Young WWII Nurse

Replies: 0

Adelyn Elizabeth Young WWII Nurse

Posted: 15 Dec 2011 3:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2011 4:01PM GMT
Lt. Adelyn E. Young was born Adelyn Elizabeth Hansen in the county of Hennepin in Minnesota on 11/22/1912. I think she joined the army as a nurse around 1940? And was a part of the 204th hospital company aboard the USAHS Acadia during WWII. During this time they were docked near New york, New Jersey, South Carolina, and eventually Northern California. The Acadia spent time over seas in North Africa (Morocco), England, and Italy. Sometime after the war Adelyn married Lt. Col. Frank James Young, they relocated to San Antonio and had two sons, Frank William II Young (born in 1951), and James Young (unsure of birthdate).

Frank passed away on 6/5/1971 and Adelyn three years later on 6/20/1974. Both were laid to rest at Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery.

Their son James passed away sometime around 2004 and Frank passed away April of this year. I am led to believe that James (the eldest?) had a daughter possibly named Jaime who also lived in San Antonio, possibly worked as a teacher.

Earlier this year at a flea market I found a collection of Adelyn's photos and letters written during her time as a nurse during WWII. This collection consists of over 30 hand written letters, 6 V-Mails, and several photos. It is truly a treasure that would have otherwise been lost to history sitting in and old box at the flea market. Their rightful owner is in the hands of a member of the Young family, but the trail runs cold with Frank. I am hoping to find a surviving member of the family so that they may have the opportunity to own these letters, otherwise I will try and donate them to the local medical museum at Ft. Sam Houston. Would appreciate any possible leads. Thank you.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions