Search for content in message boards

William H Griffin, b 1852? Birth father unknown last name

Replies: 2

William H Griffin, b 1852? Birth father unknown last name

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Feb 2013 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Griffin, Mercer, Mc Rae
W H Griffin might have a birth last name. My thoughts at this point now are that his mother remarried to a Griffin between 1851 and 1860 and he took the Griffin name. Meaning he was born with anything from A to Z for a last name. He is NOT the Griffin married to the Brasswell. Info I am hoping for will be recognition by names I am supplying, as I do have everything I believe is out there for view. Please think hard on this one. Any William H in the ancestry files that might have gone missing. He used WH many times.
William was listed in the 1880 and 1900 census as born in 1853 and Sept 1852, NC. Second wife Lucy K Mercer died a widow in 1824. Lucy was living with Walter in 1910 in VA listed as WD. William was listed as having been a Master RR Engineer, I have found this to be a mechanic. Also listed as selling stock, aka cattle, horses and such in 1880. I have found marriage certs for both wives listing his birth as 1850. I know his children are William H JR, 1883, NC, became a lawyer, married Grace Handy fro Louisiana, Fannie, 1886, NC. Both by first wife Fannie M ?. Walter Mc Rae, 1889, Pulaski, VA, bookkeeper, married Loretta Dexter from Missouri, and David Mercer, 1892, Norfolk, VA, Mechanic. My great grandfather is David Mercer Griffin, born 1892 in Norfolk, VA. mechanic. David and Walter are by Lucy. All children have last name Griffin( the name Mc Rae may mean something) This is an educated family that lived in the Edgecombe, NC and Norfolk, VA areas. Walter enlisted in the army in Ohio. I have searched for over a year and a half. My tree is UnfoundHistories is Ancestry. Pictures are of Williams oldest son David as a young boy and an adult.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
UnfoundHistor... 15 Feb 2013 5:10PM GMT 
nanablue2007 15 Feb 2013 11:55PM GMT 
UnfoundHistor... 16 Feb 2013 12:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions