Search for content in message boards

Born 12-22-69. Can anyone help? Looking for birth mother!

Replies: 2

Born 12-22-69. Can anyone help? Looking for birth mother!

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 4:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,

I am desperately looking for anyone who could possibly help me. I was a baby girl born on Dec. 22nd, 1969 at Greater Baltimore Medical center. I was adopted as an infant, through Maryland Children's Aid Society in Westminster, MD. The social worker who handled my case was Mrs. Jayne K. Koelber.

I was born premature, around 4 to 4.4 lbs, and was in the hospital for about a month with a kidney infection. My birth mother was a social worker, my birth father was a physician. She had trouble deciding to give me up for adoption, and my adoptive parents were told she decided at the very last minute.

I need to find my birth mother, it is so profoundly important to me. And boy, am I having trouble.

First, I went through the Maryland Dept of Human Resources to request my non-identifying information from my case file. I was told that no one has ever heard of "Maryland Children's Aid Society," that they don't exist anymore. I know they DID - my social worker had passed away. I had looked her up. Her obituary said that she worked at "The Maryland Children's Aid Society" in Westminster, MD. This place existed. What on earth happened to it, and why can no one tell me?! My records were there, where in God's name are they now??

The lady from MD dept. of HR told me that she doesn't know what happened to that agency, or where my agency records would have gone. I need to know! I have read all older adoption records would be at the Maryland State Archives.
What do I do now? I'm trying to find out how to track that agency record!

Also - I no longer (It has been misplaced!) have my final adoption court records. I was told my records would be filed at the courthouse where my adoptive parents were living at the time. Is this true? If so, that would be Washington County. If not, I assume it could also be in the county where my agency was - Carroll County. I was born in Baltimore - would it have been finalized there?

I have to go in person to each of these courts, and then they will tell me if they have my adoption records. This is so hard to deal with, not knowing where any set of my records are kept!

Can anyone please offer any assistance or help? I will feel SO much better knowing my records are somewhere!

Also - is there any way for me to get a hold of my medical records at birth? I know they would likely say "Baby girl..." and whatever my mom's last name was. Since I was premature and in the hospital for a month, my records for that date would stick out like a sore thumb! If I could get my hands on those! But, I don't know how to go about that. I have heard sometimes old hospital records are kept at warehouses, and I may be able to ..."get my way" in by using some ...creativity. I Know they won't hand 'em over. Any ideas?

Any and all help is much appreciated. I have simply got to find my birth mother!

Thank you!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
M_LR234 12 Feb 2013 11:39PM GMT 
nanablue2007 13 Feb 2013 1:52PM GMT 
M_LR234 13 Feb 2013 10:35PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions