Search for content in message boards

Re: Abused and Used: Public Trees vs. Private Trees

Replies: 98

Re: Abused and Used: Public Trees vs. Private Trees

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 6:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
BurgessDonnelly, You said "I think it is inaccurate and unfair to characterize private tree owners as rude and selfish and public tree owners as wonderful sharing people. My primary tree was public for years and I shared freely until many supposed cousins copied inaccurately, creating error-laden trees. "

I totally agree as that is the reason I originally made my tree private. The second reason I keep it private was I had added a lot of "theory" to my tree. After reading scores of threads regarding the "Private vs public tree" issue I finally made a public tree for my "Brick Wall surname".

scorahic, you said "I believe there is still disparity between Public and Private trees, however. Private Trees can view Public trees without invite, but Public Trees CANNOT view Private Trees without invite. Therein lies the rub, and the difference is the reduced level of service and resources from Ancestry.com when a Public Tree encounters a Private Tree. "

I agree but maybe it should be that a function that should be added to give each member the choice to view Private tree or not. That way you could check a box and the Private trees would be gone until you unchecked that box.

What I have encountered recently is thinking folks have private trees because their profile doesn't show a public tree but when I ask they say they have a public tree. On another topic I asked and yes they found out that their public tree was not showing in their profile. There is a fix for that. So check your profile to see if your public tree is showing.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bonedigger176 25 Jan 2013 4:27AM GMT 
sviada 25 Jan 2013 4:48AM GMT 
babs689 13 Aug 2012 3:23PM GMT 
BrianMartin62... 14 Feb 2013 1:15PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 15 Feb 2013 2:21AM GMT 
natfrey 15 Feb 2013 1:21PM GMT 
BrianMartin62... 16 Feb 2013 10:23AM GMT 
natfrey 16 Feb 2013 12:46PM GMT 
AGHatchett3rd 17 Feb 2013 1:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic