Search for content in message boards

Findagrave questions

Replies: 17

Re: Findagrave questions

Posted: 21 May 2012 4:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 May 2012 4:17PM GMT
Keep in mind that these are people I have already located on findagrave so I am -not-looking for answers for burial information. I am trying to work through some issues between the two sites. I will try to offer more details but I think there are a lot of variables and this may lead us off on rabbit trails. I will give it a try.

The first issue was that I was hoping for an improvement so that items found on findagrave could be added to ancestry. This was for items which aren't in the ancestry search. The item with the star is one of many routes to findagrave but there are items that I see there that I am not seeing in the ancestry searches. I have some rare names and I can actually get through everything that is offered for some of these names. It sounds like the answer to this is no. I suspected it would be no, but I thought I would try.

After looking at this for a few people it looks like the people not shown in some of the searches may be people who aren't fitting some criteria or for whom there is an issue. One person is listed twice, one doesn't have a date of death, some are new, etc. I think I may need to address some of these with findagrave or perhaps wait awhile for them to be included.

The other issue where they do not show up easily by name may also have more than one reason. And I think there may be some different methods required for the searches. One person I looked at is a John M Conner (senior) Macoupin county, Illinois. If you look for him on findagrave or up at the item that with the star, he is extremely easy to find. Merely putting in Conner and Macoupin on findagrave gives you only four results to chose from. Using the ancestry searches he is more difficult. John does not have a date of death so this may be part of the problem.

I noticed that old search and new search are a bit different. Old search offers a bit more if you are searching using burial. However, neither produced great results, particularly not when compared to the findagrave search. I also tried to use the card catalog and found an option to search by cemetery name. This worked well with some other locations but I could not get Behme Cemetery to show up.

Whoops, I think I switched the labeling. Old search has the one that directly includes the word burial.

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scwbcm 21 May 2012 2:16PM GMT 
tulrose 21 May 2012 3:09PM GMT 
tripthrutime 21 May 2012 3:50PM GMT 
jking7171 28 May 2012 11:42PM GMT 
frostfreedet 21 May 2012 4:41PM GMT 
scwbcm 21 May 2012 6:38PM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 21 May 2012 7:03PM GMT 
scwbcm 21 May 2012 10:11PM GMT 
scwbcm 22 May 2012 1:03PM GMT 
bielec_mcdona... 12 Sep 2012 8:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions