Search for content in message boards

Multiple Marriages - getting them updated to the right person

Replies: 9

Re: Multiple Marriages - getting them updated to the right person

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 10:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
>> I have many family from New England, Mayflower ancestors and many others who came early to this country. There are many cases of multiple marriage records available on Ancestry from those times. <<

Your ancestry is far from unique in having boatloads of ancestors, some with multiple marriages.

>> Sometimes, as many as 10 records for *each* person in the couple<<

I had a peak at some of the *records* (Ancestry Member Trees, Millennium File, U.S. and International Marriage Records, to name a few), you're using and linking to your tree. Learning how to evaluate the good, the bad and the junk (see above) sources should be at the top of every beginners' list of things to do.

>>Since you don't have the problem yourself, you don't seem to understand the situation<<

That's correct, I don't have a problem. I don't add data that can't be verified with solid evidence. That's a good genealogy practice and the first thing every beginner should learn. I understand plenty from reviewing your tree data.

>>I do add the marriages manually myself. However, when the records are updated from Ancestry's hints, they may attach to the right couple or marriage date, or they may not, which is why the difficulty and extra work involved. Then, to correct it, I have to check each one, recheck each person's updates and reset quite a few records just for one couple.<<

Again, each and every one of Ancestry's 1000's of db's DOES NOT REACT THE SAME WHEN LINKING, and they never will. This is not something that can made uniform without recoding every db's index, and that's never going to happen.

>>I don't "slap" data into my tree - you are making up a story of your own, not understanding the situation at all.<<

A 12,000+ tree with copied data, poor/no sourcing and one that dates back to the 13th century appears slapdash, though more careless than hasty (it takes a lot of time to add a bunch of junk, but even more to remove it). It also negates the solid data a tree might have.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Barbara Taylo... 28 Sep 2012 4:20PM GMT 
mbmjlm 28 Sep 2012 5:05PM GMT 
Keli'i Martin 17 Oct 2012 6:53PM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 17 Oct 2012 8:11PM GMT 
Keli'i Martin 17 Oct 2012 10:03PM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 17 Oct 2012 10:42PM GMT 
daciodan 18 Oct 2012 4:40PM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 19 Oct 2012 7:31PM GMT 
Laurence Smit... 19 Oct 2012 10:15PM GMT 
daciodan 22 Oct 2012 4:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions