Search for content in message boards

Interactive Image Viewer – Coming Soon to More Collections!

Replies: 81

Re: Interactive Image Viewer – Coming Soon to More Collections!

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 9:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Gentry,

Is it still true that in the near future we will no longer be able to use the basic viewer? If this is the plan still, I am hoping that decision is reconsidered.

I cannot express my dissatisfaction for the new viewer more.

The number one issue now:
Is that it uses way too many system resources on my machine... slows it to a crawl-- chews up my memory, freezing my browser until it catches up. I find it completed unusable after having tested it on several different documents. It is so incredibly slow, so slow it reminds me of when I was on dial up way back. Frustrating does not even begin to describe the experience. I do not have issues like this with the basic viewer.

Having been a paying ACOM member for some 13 years now, I have seen many of the site changes from the earliest of stages... With that... this takes the cake and in a negative one. So I ask that please, please, continue to give us the option to turn off the new interactive viewer so that we may continue use the basic viewer.

2nd issue with the new viewer...
Where is the member connect tab? and all that comes with it, including suggested records, who saved what, comments, suggested message boards etc...

3rd
Why are we no longer able to save to shoebox with the new viewer?

4th
The lack of image controls with the JavaScript -- including image rotate and magnify (magnify I use ALOT on the pages)

5th
What if I wanted to order the image??? where is the link for that? Gone in the new viewer.

6th
Unable to turn off the color coded highlighted area of the transcriptions

So in closing, I again strongly request that the more "functional" basic image viewer be left as a choice for people that wish to use it. At the very least wait until the new javascript version is more lightly coded (using less system memory) and at the minimum has the same features as the older flash version.

(Oh.. and by the way, people that cannot view flash in their browsers would be because it is disabled and/or not installed or updated etc..I understand people are moving away from flash in the industry, but again, don't pull the plug until there is some viewer coded that is at least equal or better.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BurgessDonnel... 21 Jun 2013 9:12PM GMT 
mbmjlm 25 Jan 2013 5:24AM GMT 
Gentry Davies 25 Jan 2013 7:45AM GMT 
mbmjlm 25 Jan 2013 4:37PM GMT 
mbmjlm 25 Jan 2013 4:38PM GMT 
Kathleen Powe... 17 Mar 2013 3:45PM GMT 
DelorisWillia... 17 Mar 2013 9:22PM GMT 
tante33 18 Mar 2013 2:17AM GMT 
Gentry Davies 19 Mar 2013 3:42AM GMT 
JimLivermoreN... 19 Mar 2013 6:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions