We'd like to give you a sneak peak and ask for your feedback on updates to the Ancestry header navigation we're working on.
You can preview the first version using Google Chrome by installing a chrome extension here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ancestry-prototype...
. Click "Free" and then "Add" in the popup, and then visit any page on Ancestry.com to see the new header.
If you want to go back to the current header, click the menu icon in the top right of chrome, then "Tools", then "Extensions". Look for the "Ancestry Prototypes" extension and either uncheck "Enable" or click the trashcan to remove it.
- Facilitate keyboard-only navigation
- Accessibility improvements
- Create a header that will allow pages to use more screen width without looking funny (like the tree viewer and image viewer)
- Performance improvements
- Improved code stability
- Simplification of the header
- Easier access to the header links you use most
Please give us your feedback and ideas using this survey: http://ancestry.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bsc4bVHXRiTCvVr
. If you're having any technical problems installing the extension, please post here so others can benefit from the conversation.
This is a very early stage prototype, and we're sharing it with a whole bunch of caveats:
- This will only work for US site in English
- This is a non-tested prototype. This means it will have bugs. We're testing the concept not every piece of functionality. If it causes you major issues, simply uninstall the plugin and let us know what you experienced.
- If a header like this "graduates" to become the experience on the website, it will be loaded by default, not after the page loads. For the current best experience, wait till the page is done loading before tabbing or interacting with the menu.
Thank you so much for your feedback!