Search for content in message boards

A few ideas for improvement

Replies: 3

A few ideas for improvement

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 12:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have written hundreds of online stories on Ancestry.com which do not sync into my FTM. The only way to access these stories while in FTM is to be online and click on filename and location at the bottom of the right hand panel of the Media Section of FTM. A new tab then opens in my browser and there is my story. This is very inconvenient if I cannot be online. It was suggested by Ancestry to make a word document instead and upload to Ancestry.com. This is ok as it opens up on my computer and I don’t have to be online, but it still is not integrated in FTM. In other words I would like to click on someone in FTM and see all the info about them in front of me without having to look elsewhere. I also like the idea that others can see the story immediately on Ancestry without downloading a document. I could put the story under “notes” and it will show in FTM but then this is not shared with others on Ancestry as notes are private. Notes also do not show in Smart Story on FTM, so if I want to include the story in a Smart Story I have to go in and out of Smart Story to copy and paste.
Also I have uploaded hundreds of headstone photos to Ancestry and diligently clicked on “headstone details” and typed in required info. This also does not show in FTM. In future I will be entering cemetery details under “description” only which will then show in FTM.
Ancestry say that the headstone description and stories are for online users only. That is ok but they should say this before someone enters the info. If someone has FTM they would then not waste their time with it.
Last but not least, I upload hundreds of photos of newspaper clippings. Some of these I will transcribe through Ancestry. After uploading the photo I click on “Document or Certificate” and enter the transcription (some are very lengthy!). Again, this transcription does not show in FTM and you have to be online to see it. Ancestry suggested to upload the photo and also a word doc. of the transcription. 2 separate items. Need I say this produces the same problem as above with stories.
When I use a software programme I like to use ALL of it. I spent a lot of my working life collaborating with software developers to make their software “user friendly” for use in our office (and others) with wonderful achievements on both sides. I hope Ancestry read this message and take a few ideas on board for future (urgent) development. :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Holly Kempe 28 Nov 2013 7:23AM GMT 
tulrose 28 Nov 2013 5:01PM GMT 
Holly Kempe 28 Nov 2013 10:42PM GMT 
tulrose 29 Nov 2013 1:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions