Search for content in message boards

Correct or reject "contributions" to official source records

Replies: 3

Correct or reject "contributions" to official source records

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 9:09AM GMT
Classification: Census
Surnames: Rehbein Robben
Overeager researcher decides that such-and-such U.S. Federal Census record simply MUST be the family member s/he's looking for, never mind that the names and years really don't match, and "helpfully corrects" the census data with the surname s/he thinks it must be. Wrongly.

I'm attaching screencaps of an example which was noted as an "error in transcription". The Rehbeins are my family and these Robbens just aren't a match. There's no transcription error, obviously - "Robben" is crystal clear in the original image - and besides which, the years and childrens' names are way off. They're not a match.

They're going to keep coming up in searches for "Rehbein", though, because the contribution has been indexed. And it's a bit of a bummer for the real Robbens.

I love contributions generally, and the fact that they're indexed has opened doors for me when the data is right. (Thankfully, since this is more of a power user feature, most of the mindless clicksters haven't found it.)

There should be a way for users to note that we DISAGREE with the contributed data, and add a comment directly to the disputed contribution.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cheryl Hammon... 15 Apr 2014 3:09PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 15 Apr 2014 5:05PM GMT 
silverfox3280 15 Apr 2014 9:44PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 16 Apr 2014 1:49AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions