Search for content in message boards

Having Trouble Navigating

Replies: 15

Re: Having Trouble Navigating

Posted: 27 May 2012 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I tried to put myself in your place and the reception you got on the forum. Please remember that the comment "back to the 11th century" is like fingernails on a chalk board, or a beavers reaction to running water, to those of us who have been working on our families for years or decades, and can not get a documented family out of the 1700's.

But I wish to apologize for mine and others responses to your question. At least you are here asking question, which is the good start to developing a document family tree.

Instead of stressing the length of time your family has been in existence, stress the quality that comes from knowing and learning about her family.

Let her feel the thrill of holding a document that her 5th great grandfather held as he signed his signature.

Let her picture her 5th great grandfather working in his newly cleared field with oxen while his wife is working nearby with his young children near their newly built cabin.

As you look at the deed of release, point out to her, her 5th great grandmother's emotion as she dictated the deed releasing the man for their bastard son. PS They were later married and baptized the child in their church

Show her your families contribution to the country even if it is creating a farm in the wilderness or being a clerk in a store.

Get her addicted to genealogy, and be proud of her families' accomplishment. Show her that she should not being ashamed of them for being indentured servants, slaves, or poor farmers. They all did their part in helping her accomplish what she does today. ie if she is ashamed of them, she can not be proud of herself or what they were, she is.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
keithnuttle 27 May 2012 12:39PM GMT 
keithnuttle 27 May 2012 1:29PM GMT 
mavitale 27 May 2012 2:05PM GMT 
frostfreedet 27 May 2012 7:18PM GMT 
BrklynBridge 27 May 2012 2:09PM GMT 
WVa_Memories 27 May 2012 6:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions