Search for content in message boards

Using Facebook to Grow More Junk Trees, Privacy Concerns, "Bugs" and Server Overloads

Replies: 8

Using Facebook to Grow More Junk Trees, Privacy Concerns, "Bugs" and Server Overloads

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 7:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Portions of the blog today.

Using Facebook to grow your family tree
Posted by flarson on October 9, 2012

"We are excited to announce the release of a new feature that allows Ancestry members to use Facebook to add information and new people to family trees quickly and easily. When you attach Facebook information to someone in your tree you’ll get the following:

Photos: We’ll pull the most recent profile photo from Facebook into your tree. When your cousin Jen updates her Facebook profile photo, it’s automatically updated in your tree.

Find Long Lost Relatives: We’ll use Facebook to suggest people who might be family members–
just click to accept. As relatives grow their trees you’ll get even more hints about people to add.

Birthdays: If your relative includes their birth date in Facebook, we’ll grab it for you and insert it into your tree.

Quick Contact: Remember that cool photo of Grandma that your uncle has hanging on his wall? When he is added to your family tree from Facebook you have instant access to his Facebook profile right from your tree. Just click through and send him a message on Facebook asking for a copy of that cool photo.

Simple Sourcing: When we pull data from Facebook, we’ll create Source citations so you know where the data came from.

Why should I use Facebook to build this living network instead of doing it by hand?

Building out a living network of relatives by hand certainly is an option. With the latest release, however, Ancestry members can now take advantage of their Facebook network to add information and new people to family trees. It’s quick and easy – forget manually typing names or selecting a gender – let us do that for you. A couple of clicks and a new person is added to your tree.

I’ve already added living relatives to my Ancestry family tree, is this new Facebook feature useful for me?

Yes, in addition to adding new people to a tree, this feature can be used to add Facebook information to existing individuals. All of the benefits described at the beginning of this post apply to existing individuals. Of note, when information is added from Facebook, it will never replace what you have added to your tree already. For example, if you already have a birth date and photo for your brother, this info will not be replaced with Facebook profile information.

I’m concerned about privacy of my personal information on both Facebook and Ancestry. How is privacy treated?

Rest assured that the rules regarding living persons are not impacted in any way when you add Facebook information to a person within your tree. For example, a private tree remains private when Facebook information is added and all our existing privacy rules apply. Only those with permission to view living persons in the tree will see any information that has been added from Facebook.

We respect Facebook profile settings and will only access the information from your Facebook account that you have expressly given us permission to access. We also won’t post anything to your Facebook wall or contact any of your Facebook friends unless you ask us. When you add Facebook information to your tree, you must explicitly grant Ancestry.com permission to retain and use that information in accordance with the Ancestry.com Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement."

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2012/10/09/using-facebook...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
talbotrail 10 Oct 2012 1:17AM GMT 
jwardh 10 Oct 2012 2:47AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 10 Oct 2012 5:43PM GMT 
Koromo 10 Oct 2012 6:38PM GMT 
barbdale_1 11 Oct 2012 3:26AM GMT 
adamsfamily1 13 Oct 2012 4:31AM GMT 
Judy Ackerman 14 Oct 2012 4:15AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 14 Oct 2012 4:40AM GMT 
talbotrail 14 Oct 2012 4:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions