Search for content in message boards

i cant believe what i am finding!!

Replies: 34

Re: i cant believe what i am finding!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 4:13PM GMT
Unfortunately I can believe the information that you found, but how do you know it is right? My guess is it was copied from someone else's tree -- how do you know it is correct? Did you check if there were sources? Did you check out the sources for yourself if any were indicated?
If you seriously want to do your family research, this is NOT the way to do it. I looked at a few of your people on the tree, and there is no indication of census records, etc., to support your information.
I totally agree with the other comments that you have to prove or disprove every step of the way - even that is sometimes open to error by conflicting records.
By buying into the other persons tree, it just populates yet more inaccurate information that the next person will copy, and on and on and on. I'm sure the majority of people here will agree that a massive amount of information on the trees out there is bad. My suggestion is to use the trees for clues, but never add a person to your tree unless you prove it with actual records.. not just because someone else says so.
If you seriously want to research your family, there are lots of people here on ancestry and other sites that will gladly assist. Please slow down, prove a generation at a time, and be proud of your work knowing it is right!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
amishgirl7597 3 Nov 2012 5:23PM GMT 
mbmjlm 3 Nov 2012 8:45PM GMT 
ceilidh 3 Nov 2012 8:58PM GMT 
ld612 3 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT 
daciodan 3 Nov 2012 10:36PM GMT 
carol santos 3 Nov 2012 11:04PM GMT 
barbdale_1 4 Nov 2012 12:54AM GMT 
jwardh 4 Nov 2012 1:06AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 Nov 2012 1:14AM GMT 
fairwinds2u 4 Nov 2012 1:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions