Search for content in message boards

i cant believe what i am finding!!

Replies: 34

Re: i cant believe what i am finding!!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Sweetie, we don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for genealogical research, but as the others have said, hints from other users' trees are not to be trusted. You need to start with your parents yourself and work backward by generation from there, collecting birth, marriage and death certificates for each person, census information, land records and wills, and passenger and naturalization information for any immigrants along the way.

Also, you have to read each one of the above documents thoroughly and vet the information therein for reasonableness and accuracy to ensure that the record actually applies to your desired person.

Finally, you will not be able to find all this information online, although depending on your family's locations, you may get lucky on Ancestry or FamilySearch.org and be able to find quite a bit of basic documentation. Some states are more free with their vital documents than others.

So please, start over, do the proper research, and then when you reach the kings and queens, celebrate heartily, knowing you've proven the connection rather than accepted someone else's fiction.

Happy hunting!! :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
amishgirl7597 3 Nov 2012 5:23PM GMT 
mbmjlm 3 Nov 2012 8:45PM GMT 
ceilidh 3 Nov 2012 8:58PM GMT 
ld612 3 Nov 2012 9:44PM GMT 
daciodan 3 Nov 2012 10:36PM GMT 
carol santos 3 Nov 2012 11:04PM GMT 
barbdale_1 4 Nov 2012 12:54AM GMT 
jwardh 4 Nov 2012 1:06AM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 Nov 2012 1:14AM GMT 
fairwinds2u 4 Nov 2012 1:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions