Search for content in message boards

Sloppy Research

Replies: 31

Re: Sloppy Research

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 12:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I understand your frustration. Anyone who takes care with their research feels the same way.

Unfortunately, there is no one to "complain to." Ancestry certainly can't police family trees. I agree that they could present some basic warnings when someone is entering data. That might catch some real obvious errors - like "this child was born before her mother was born." But these kinds of error warning won't catch most mistakes.

Sloppy genealogy is not new. It has existed for many, many years. Back when our family trees were kept on paper. Remember that? However, the internet has made it much easier to find good genealogy records; it has also made it easier to find bad family trees.

And one more thing, those people that have such bizarre errors in their family trees will not respond to corrections or offers of help. So don't bother with that.

My suggestion? Either ignore family trees entirely and do your own research, or use them (very cautiously) for hints. Even in a bad family tree, a person might have correct information about close relatives. But even then you should verify the information from other independent sources -- coupled with a large dose of common sense.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Donna Cooper 3 Dec 2012 7:21PM GMT 
keithnuttle 3 Dec 2012 7:46PM GMT 
meekernj 3 Dec 2012 7:59PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 3 Dec 2012 8:29PM GMT 
Donna Cooper 3 Dec 2012 10:00PM GMT 
cpcoan13 12 Dec 2012 11:29AM GMT 
DPotts57 12 Dec 2012 10:58PM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 13 Dec 2012 1:08AM GMT 
rundehel 2 Jan 2013 3:14PM GMT 
keithnuttle 2 Jan 2013 3:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions