Search for content in message boards

Sloppy Research

Replies: 31

Re: Sloppy Research

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 8:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Heck, I recently had someone complaining to me that I had HER ancestor born in 1795 listed with the wrong children, and could I please fix it. First of all, I don't have my tree on Ancestry, but it is on Rootsweb which comes up in Searches, so this person obviously saw that. But what's worse is that I took a look at this persons' tree and it turns out the only thing we had in common was the ancestor had the same name as mine, on opposite sides of the Country. Mine was born and raised his family in NC, and this persons' family lived in Washington State or something, and sure, they happened to have had some children with the same names, but mine had absolutely nothing to do with the person in her tree. This person had found a name which was the same as the one she was looking for (didn't matter where they lived, they had the same names, so hey, that didn't matter, right?) in her search and accepted it, and took it over as her ancestor, while absolutely nothing else matched. It's whackos like that which give genealogy a bad name, and I have long ago learned to ignore them, otherwise you can end up going crazy trying to deal with them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
frostfreedet 23 Dec 2012 7:24PM GMT 
RobinBMc 24 Dec 2012 7:10PM GMT 
jrwhiskey 7 Dec 2012 5:12PM GMT 
SWILLIAMSON12... 8 Dec 2012 4:14AM GMT 
mbmjlm 8 Dec 2012 4:37AM GMT 
DelorisWillia... 5 Dec 2012 3:08AM GMT 
SWILLIAMSON12... 8 Dec 2012 4:00AM GMT 
cakemp1 8 Dec 2012 5:34PM GMT 
James Cowles 23 Dec 2012 8:15PM GMT 
James Cowles 23 Dec 2012 8:23PM GMT 
per page