Search for content in message boards

private trees and public trees

Replies: 74

Re: private trees and public trees

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 1:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
um, NO, NO and NO again. And this reply isn't only @juliekidd, it is for all of you complaining about public v. private trees.
I've been a genealogist for over 40 years, and have personally researched my tree through all of the usual methods - original documents and sources - and am still doing so, thousands of dollars later.
My tree is now privatized for a variety of reasons, yet I share plenty with others who ask. I never minded others making use of the information I've paid and worked for over 40+ years of research. I've only objected when they did so indiscriminately, such as downloading my entire gedcom, and then failing to privatize information that could lead to identity theft, or when they change documented and proven information and refuse to change it back, even when provided with all the proof needed. Or their failure to update or change as new information becomes available. And so on.
So no, that attitude will get you nowhere with me, because you couldn't be more WRONG.
Anyone can see the bare bones of my tree, enough to contact me and ask. Does it take me awhile to respond to inquiries sometimes? Yes, but it is often because I am looking things up for you. Because you asked me to.
I don't think that all people with public trees are less than professional, and I expect the reverse to be held true out of mutual respect. At least, if you ever want me to answer a question for you. With over 32,000 documented individuals in a tree stretching back to the Merovingian Kings, I'm willing to bet that at some time in your time at Ancestry.com, you may already have.
Yours on the dusty gene-trail,
Deborah
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sl_kelly 1 Jan 2013 10:08PM GMT 
talbotrail 1 Jan 2013 9:13PM GMT 
oni1st 1 Jan 2013 11:02PM GMT 
talbotrail 1 Jan 2013 11:49PM GMT 
DeborahSweet 7 Jan 2013 8:39PM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 7 Jan 2013 9:02PM GMT 
hallcassidy 7 Jan 2013 10:32PM GMT 
DeborahSweet 7 Jan 2013 11:56PM GMT 
BrklynBridge 31 Dec 2012 8:01PM GMT