Search for content in message boards

Public Trees and acknowledging Family Folklore as a source

Replies: 7

Public Trees and acknowledging Family Folklore as a source

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Jan 2013 8:28PM GMT
Despite a very intensive search, I can't locate any records to verify the identity of an ancestor. There are several public trees which have this information but they are unsourced and it mystifies me how they came up with the information.

I value the importance of "family folklore" as it can provide a rich insight but maybe putting a note to say that this information about a name or birthdate/marriage etc comes from family knowledge passed down through the generations would be extremely helpful.

My own tree is private because I wanted to ensure it was finished before making it public (I like the idea of sharing info) however, I have attached notes to the few bits of information that I have which has come from family folklore. The note simply states that the information was handed down via my great aunt and I include as much info as I can (including scans of letters etc) so people can use it as starting point and do their own research. Who knows, maybe they have access to records that I don't and my acknowledgment that it is only my family's word of mouth can kick-start something.

Just an idea.....

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DebraLeeCoate... 31 Jan 2013 3:03AM GMT 
mbmjlm 31 Jan 2013 4:19AM GMT 
jmyoung365 31 Jan 2013 5:43AM GMT 
DebraLeeCoate... 31 Jan 2013 8:16AM GMT 
ludlowbaylive 31 Jan 2013 8:39AM GMT 
jmyoung365 31 Jan 2013 9:00AM GMT 
keithnuttle 31 Jan 2013 2:40PM GMT 
tulrose 31 Jan 2013 2:56PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions