Search for content in message boards

City Directory Changes

Replies: 0

City Directory Changes

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 12:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Many of the members of my paternal line were city dwellers, in New York and New Jersey, from 1850 onwards. The City Directories have been very helpful in charting their movements and finding siblings and collateral lines. I do NOT consider City Directories to be a census substitute, but a finding aid.

Recently I had noticed a change to the search page for City Directories that was not helpful. I kept checking and re-checking hoping that it would be fixed.

City Directories are almost all dated. They are, of course, often out of date by the time they are published, since they are compiled in one year and published with the date of the following year.

Previously, it was possible to search the city directories by date - very helpful if you are trying to track someone in a large city. A few days ago the "Residence Year" box disappeared (New Search). I checked various cities; I checked records that I had saved to my database, knowing that I had used the "Residence Year" option when I found them - even those searches were missing the critical selection. I triple checked to be sure my default had not been changed from "Advanced" search to Basic.

Today - the "Residence Year" box is back.

Don't know why it was changed, but am glad to see that it has returned.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions