Search for content in message boards

system apparently has overwritten my user-created source data

Replies: 44

system apparently has overwritten my user-created source data

Posted: 3 May 2013 8:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 May 2013 10:20AM GMT
Long before Ancestry began linking to the Find A Grave database, I had created my own source and description for Find A Grave. I have continued to use it, since I don't particularly want to be dependent on a continued partnership between Ancestry and Find A Grave.

My method has always worked fine, until today. Now, however, the link on the sidebar of the profile has changed (in appearance - no longer the little "note pad" looking icon for a user-created source). Instead of being my own user-created link, it now is apparently one that is being generated by the system - and although when I add a Find A Grave citation I always add the specific link to the memorial in question, clicking on the link on the sidebar now leads to the Find A Grave "memorial not found" page. On the other hand, if I go the long way around ("facts/sources," then "sources," then the link within the citation), it goes directly to the page I want (which also can be reached by clicking on "sources" next to the death event in the timeline).

I have gone back and checked the profiles where I added this source very early, and ALL of them now behave this way although they worked fine in the past. I have no way of getting rid of the useless link on the sidebar of the profile, except by deleting the citation entirely. And I tried to find a link for tech support, but all there is now by way of "support" is just the silly "ask the community" etc. stuff, so I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion about how to get back to the functionality I had.

I have already tried changing the name of the source and the name of the repository, which has no effect - the same link appears with a new name, but it still goes right to the "memorial not found" page on Find A Grave, so apparently it is picking it up from the web page link within the citation, yet it does not go to the web page as cited.

Any thoughts about how to fix this? I'm really frosted that ACOM has done this, because what business is it of ACOM if I prefer to create and use my own source, created before they ever offered that resource - I don't want to use the Ancestry link to Find A Grave by just saving from the abstract of the same memorial on Ancestry, plus it would not work unless I went back and found every one of the profiles where I have created such a link and changed all of them - and there are hundreds.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
McComberdesce... 3 May 2013 2:03PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 3 May 2013 2:24PM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 3 May 2013 4:02PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 3 May 2013 4:24PM GMT 
BrklynBridge 3 May 2013 4:27PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 3 May 2013 4:37PM GMT 
Barbara Taylo... 3 May 2013 4:53PM GMT 
McComberdesce... 4 May 2013 6:37PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 May 2013 7:10PM GMT 
jwardh 5 May 2013 1:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions