Search for content in message boards

Rewards for correcting data.

Replies: 7

Rewards for correcting data.

Posted: 4 May 2013 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
The more I use Ancestry, the more I realise how poor the transcription work has been. This could be the reason why competitors claim that they have the most complete census data for UK on the web.

Nearly every page of census documents I have looked at, have contained errors. From time to time I have submitted a number of corrections, especially when I came across a horrendous mistake involving my own ancestors, basically I could not find them at all on Ancestry for 1891 census, but found first time on another subscription site, I retrieved the correct page on Ancestry and saw that the family in question were listed as being part of the previous family group and had been given completely different surnames.

There was also another district which I found where the person transcribing the district clearly struggled in reading the scrawl, just about every line contained errors. I considered correcting, it, but decided not to as I just could not be bothered with wasting time on this, which I would rather spend on my own transcription work for a certain county archiving project.

So my point now is, why should I waste time correcting this sloppy transcription and data entry for a commercial website without any kind of reward for my time and effort in doing so?

If Ancestry reviewed submitted corrections, then rewarded in form of financial gain such as free full membership, and it has to be a generous amount, certainly if it was on the lines of make 1000 corrections and get 1 day free, that would be a joke, something on lines of 100 corrections and get a week free, that would then give people an incentive to then purposely search for mistakes and correct them, which in the long run would benefit all concerned.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Andrew Apps 4 May 2013 9:30AM GMT 
McComberdesce... 4 May 2013 10:05AM GMT 
Teri Pettit 7 May 2013 12:14AM GMT 
ld612 4 May 2013 11:58AM GMT 
LostQuays 6 May 2013 8:48PM GMT 
jwardh 6 May 2013 9:01PM GMT 
fhsleuth 6 May 2013 10:57PM GMT 
jwardh 7 May 2013 12:36AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions