Search for content in message boards

Unauthorized Charges: Suspected Ripoff by Ancestry.Com

Replies: 17

Re: Unauthorized Charges: Suspected Ripoff by Ancestry.Com

Posted: 2 Oct 2005 9:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Why is it when a negative thread on Ancestry for their negative billing policies gets a little to much attention some 'longtime' subscriber with very few or just one post shows up regularly to defend those practices. If Ancestry did not have those practices there would not be complaints. I am an ex subscriber because of those policies. I would like anybody to provide an ethical reason for the auto-renew and requirement to call an 800 number to cancel other than the BS in their FAQ's.
And what does policies of other sites have to do with the price of tea in china? Their poliies are wrong to.
What do you consider a few?
Here is a link to BBB and their 3 year report on MFI/Ancestry:

http://www.saltlakecity.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=200319...

The BBB is better equipped in my opinion for local fly by night businesses than national/international internet companies.
From the BBB at the link above:

"Based on BBB files, this company has a satisfactory record with the Bureau. The Bureau has processed customer complaints on this company in its three-year reporting period. Although the customer disputed the company's response, based on BBB experience the company properly addressed all the issues of the complaints. In addition, other complaints processed by the bureau, the company addressed the disputed issues of the complaints, and the customers verified that the complaints have been resolved satisfactorily. A satisfactory record means a company has been in business for at least 12 months, and properly addressed matters referred by the Bureau. The company does not have an unusual volume of complaints, or any government actions involving its marketplace conduct. The Bureau understands and has no concerns about the company's products, services and type of business.

Consumers should be aware that Ancestry.com/MyFamily.com uses an auto-renewal process that automatically charges the consumer for another year membership if the member does not cancel prior to the anniversary date.

When considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.

The Bureau processed a total of 841 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 841 complaints closed in 36 months, 171 were closed in the last year.
These complaints concerned:
72 Advertising Issues,
133 Selling Practices,
1 Delivery,
2 Service / Repairs,
6 Warranty / Guarantee,
6 Product Quality,
177 Refund Problems,
34 Unfulfilled Contract,
58 Customer Service, and
351 Credit or Billing Issues.”

You mention world tree if you you meant one world tree. I would think your 90% garbage is low because of the defective "stitcher" for that untill recently. OWT recently was changed and does a fair job of representing what is in the AWT/WC files from what I can see as a non subscriber. If you are talking about AWT I think 90% is probably high. It probably wouldn't help a lot but some checkpoints could be used similar to what FTM genealogy soft ware uses. In searching WC I find 55-60 year old women having a number of children, Mothers born before their daughters. If you go to LDS, I see a lot of errors there also. I don't know of an easy solution to that problem.
Burt
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JDvorak2006 14 Sep 2005 4:47AM GMT 
FredRagsdale6... 15 Sep 2005 6:24AM GMT 
Greg Matthews 23 Sep 2005 1:28AM GMT 
Jim Dvorak 25 Sep 2005 8:04PM GMT 
doltmann_1 2 Oct 2005 11:11AM GMT 
Greg Matthews 2 Oct 2005 6:06PM GMT 
jimbrose 3 Oct 2005 3:03AM GMT 
Charley Schnellbacher 3 Oct 2005 4:16AM GMT 
jimbrose 3 Oct 2005 3:16PM GMT 
Charley Schnellbacher 3 Oct 2005 4:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions